ParticlesGPU

Hi all! Just a question, is there any way to repel the particles in the particlesGPU toolkit?
I’m trying to use the metaball and force SOPs, but i dont think it works? Im using it with kinect hence i was hoping to use the metaball method. If there are any other suggestions, please help! Thank you!

see this thread for an example

Thanks for the reply! I did use that method to kickstart my work, however im trying to find a way for the particles to repel when the user is stationary, and the particles to move back as well. I was looking at the metaball and forfe SOP which works, but im
Not sure how to use it in particle system, or it can be used in particleGPU. Thanks!

For the ParticlesGPU, we cannot use SOPs to create forces. This is because the ParticlesGPU comp is encoding the physics properties of the system in TOPs so that calculations can be done in the GPU.

So we should think about ways we can create ‘velocity’, or change, in the pixels that feed into the Particles GPU as forces.

One idea to try possible is to add a time-slice mode noise CHOP that has run through a math CHOP and had its values re-ranged and apply this to the radius x and radius y of the circle TOP that are being controlled by the player’s hands. The constant fluctuation in the circle’s radius would create motion information that pushes particles away from the user’s hands even when they are idle. Hope that is helpful!