Delay a movie file

Hello,

I recently started using Touch Designer and am really excited about all of the potential it holds! I have a few quick questions.

Let me start with my end goal. I want to be able to projection map using kantan mapper mp4 clips; however, I want to play the clips at different intervals i.e. play clip 1 and then wait 2 seconds then start clip 2.

Let me start with what I have. I have two moviefilein tops that both point to mp4 files. My first question is that there is a yellow exclamation point above the tops and I do not know why. Is there an error? Then to get those into the kantan mapper I had to have them go through an out top. I have no idea how to play the clips at different intervals. I am also having an issue with clips repeating. I only want them to play once.

Here is a link to my project if you want to take a look [url]https://github.com/HonakerM/Projection-Mapping[/url] Thanks for any assistance!

I was about to point you toward the wiki page of the moviefilein but it’s really obscure the way it’s written :stuck_out_tongue:

“Extend Right textendright - ⊞ - Determines how the Movie File In TOP handles movie positions that lie after the Trim End position. For example, if Trim End is set to 20, and the movie’s current index is 25, the Extend Right menu determines how the movie position is calculated.”

What you want is ‘extend right’ on the trim page.
That’s where you tell the clip what to do
cycle mean it loops
I guess you want to change that to zero (transparent) or black

As for the delay, since it’s only 2 seconds you can use a cacheTOP with a cache size of two times your TD framerate (120 if youre at the default 60fps)
Then use a cache select with an index of -120 to get the frame from 120 frames ago.

Else there would be other ways by controlling the video via a specified index.

Take a look at the ‘operators snippets’ from the help menu. Both moviefilein and cache select avec examples of exactly that

Thank you so much for your help! This worked perfectly! You say that since the delay is only 2 seconds a cacheTOP is fine. At what point is a cache top not good? Like 5 seconds or 20 and how would you do it if you needed to wait like 30 seconds?

On another note if I wanted to slow down a movie in top? I have tried using the feedback top to no success. Thank you again for any assistance

I am interested in precisely this question! How to delay my top by 10 seconds? The cache top just can’t do more than a few seconds without grinding my patch to a halt.

Hi @Jerdesigner,

yes - caching 10 seconds can fill up your video card memory quite quickly.
Can you use a second Movie File In that starts 10 seconds later? You could use a Timer CHOP to control these things. But would need a bit more context to recommend a fitting approach.

cheers
Markus

Hi Markus, thanks for the response.

So I’ve got a live kinect color & point cloud image coming in and I want to delay those by at least 10 seconds.

The project is about enabling people to leave their point cloud bodies in VR. For which I need to delay their point cloud by a decent amount of time so a window appears between their present and past self.

Hope this helps. I’ll share the toe file here.

OBETA-1 Optimizing.7.toe (35.1 KB)