helix with points on a line

Hey guys,

total noob here, sorry for stupid questions in advance :slight_smile:

i want to make a double helix with 2 lines. each line consists of 10 points. and the helix should turn around its axis like here youtube.com/watch?v=LCMc8_xSlkQ
i want to use this data then for instancing other objects.
i did this tutorial (youtube.com/watch?v=5X56iGWoZZs&t=62s), but i am too green to animate the translation of the points of the line like in a helix. i know have to animate the position of the points (like with the noise in this tutorial), but i dont know how to turn the channels of, lets say, a “beat” chop into the coordinates of tx and ty.

does anyone have a solution for this?

thanks,
Stan Catur

helix_points.6.toe (7.71 KB)
did it! first patch in td, yeahiiie … but ahm, ja … in a very complicated way imo. i feel very unflexible and uncomfortable with this solution. coming from vvvv i used a spreaded value structure where i split and transform and merge data to get my rotating helix. anyway, for now it works, hehe.

please, feel free disabusing me :slight_smile: there must be an easier way, isn’t there?

CStan

First off good job making the tx ty and tz positions with chops, that was good.

To make it more simple, we can just stay in chops the whole time until geo instancing; by Shuffling!

I cleaned up your example a little, and I used the Pattern Chop instead of a constant chop, much faster and cleaner. Also check the usage of Shuffle Chop.

arcBallCameraboxRender.tox (9.35 KB)

When dealing with chops with different time slice methods, you must also consider how they will be aligned together.

Take note of all the colored nodes and commented nodes I left for you, also I took your thing and put it in an arcBallCamera from the palette, because why not.

Chops for the win.

thanks bwanajh!

SHUFFLE it is i searched for and what i am doing with the dats. i tried to google something like turning channels into samples but didn’t came up with that operator. so i translated them into data, making columns to rows :confused:

PATTERN CHOP, awesome! much cleaner.

i guess, as in vvvv, you need to know the library somehow before making clean patches, hehe.

i believe that there is a more beautiful way to generate a helix like my/our bumpy solution, what u think? for example animating the points of the line with some fancy dancy absTime sine cosine delay math formular… although my skills are not like a math professor, i maybe try to get into this next year :wink:

:slight_smile: !!HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :slight_smile:

CStan

web search " helix formula"

found this groups.google.com/forum/#!topic … P4ZKPYrUBw

There are other, more precise helix formulas that would take into account number of turns, angle of helix, etc.

This one just looked and simple quick to sketch as it is organized out in our 3 friends x y and z

it says this
x(t) = sin t
y(t) = cos t
z(t) = t + k*pi.

I made this, where your initial pattern chop would be the variable (t) and variable (k) in a constant chop. fiddle with the Pattern maybe you’ll find something that looks right.

Or you can google and implement a different helix formula, no better way to get used to the library of Operators than to try them out!
helix.tox (1.69 KB)