Create a shape with 1 point

Is it possible in touchdesigner to create a shape that just has one point? Both the lineSop and circleSop require a minimum of 2 points. My goal is to create a particleSop whose input is just 1 point so that it only shoots particles out of 1 place.

I think you want to use an Add SOP (check the box for Point 0) and then wire it into a particle sop (maybe set the Particle Type to Render as Point Sprites).

Thanks @DavidBraun, that worked like a charm.

Is there some terminology that describes an operator that creates something and one that modifies something? For example, the line SOP (which has no inputs) and the circle SOP (which has an optional input) both create shapes and can standalone, where as the noise SOP requires and input and does not do anything on its own. Is there terminology to describe the operators that create something and standalone?

Actually I don’t think there is, but it is a good way of thinking about project structure. When I have a long chain of operators that don’t cook every frame, I often place the whole chain in a base with a single out operator, and then I name the base blah_generator. The base can have custom parameters that when modified will cause the whole chain to recook, but otherwise it doesn’t always cook.

Interesting. Can you elaborate on these statements about cooking.

“When I have a long chain of operators that don’t cook every frame”
“that when modified will cause the whole chain to recook”

Are you controlling the cooking yourself in those instances or does Touchdesigner able to optimize the cooking itself? Is your best friend when investigating cooking the middle mouse click on a node, or do you use other tools?

Thanks.