"Pickup" override

Hi all !

I’m scratching my head on a problem that i can’t figure out.
I want to have a sort of “pickup” override function, to reproduce a behaviour you can find in most audio software. I’ve got a midi controller overriding a slider in my interface, but what i want is the controller picking up the value in the slider.
For example, if i move the controller, then move the slider on the interface, i don’t want the value to “jump” when i move the controller again…
The 404.zero team have succeed in achieving such a behaviour in their Zerror interface
404zero.com/404zerror/

Any idea ??

I’ve tried something like this, not working…
I’m not sure that’s the good approach…
FOR LENNY.2.toe (4.1 KB)

hey Vincelapince,

I think what you’re actually after is the applying the change (current value - previous value) to the target slider. The other consideration here is to make sure that you clamp your slider values so you can’t go over 1, or under 0.

Take a look here to see if that makes sense:
relative-change-example.tox (1.97 KB)

Thanks for your reply Raganmd

Actually, that’s not exactly what i’m looking for.
What i want is that, when the midi slider is not equal to the target, it has no influence on the target, but as soon as it is equal, it override the target , as if the midi slider was “picking” the target slider.

I’m not sure if it make sense…

But thanks for your example !

Hi Vincelapince,

I think this could be approached in a couple of ways (see attachments).

In the first example (approach1), in TD I am receiving the cc message from my MIDI controller (BCR 2000).
That value is used to move the interface slider, and then to send that value to the rest of the network.
Vice-versa, if I move the interface slider instead, I am sending a cc back to my MIDI controller to update its position, and then sending that value to the rest of the network.
Basically the slider in the TD interface and the MIDI knob on my MIDI controller are always in the same position.
If you move one, the other one will update it position. No need to pick up each other position.

The second approach uses a switch CHOP to switch between your MIDI controller and your interface slider.
When the MIDI controller value matches the interface slider value, switch to MIDI controller.
When the interface slider value matches the MIDI controller value, switch to interface slider.

The .toe files attached are very rough and done quickly, but they both work fine on my system.
Hopefully I am putting you on the right track.
pick_up_override_approach2.toe (4.67 KB)
pick_up_override_approach1.toe (4.86 KB)

This is a tweak of your example toe file.
FOR LENNY.6.toe (4.43 KB)

Hey FaustoB

Thank your very much !
The first approach is not really working for me , as the controller i use do not accept midi in.
But the second approach do the job very well !
I just add a “quantize” option, to make sure that the detection will work properly between the midi that’s 1-127 integer, and the controlled par that’s 0-1 float.

Thanks !!! You made my day !
PICKUP.2.toe (4.4 KB)

Just as heads up, I had a look at the file you attached (PICKUP.2), and it does not behave correctly.
The par_source slider does not pick up the midi slider value, it just makes the value jumping. You are missing some code in your chopexec3.

Anyway, great to hear I pointed you in the right direction. There might be different and better ways to resolve this but that’s the one I could think of.

Hey FausttoB

Yes i know that, that’s because my slider will be also controlled by a preset system in the final project :wink:

Thanks for all !