Output issue after Windows Update

Hello!

I’m not at all versed in Touch Designer, but am working with a pre-programmed file setup on a HP sever system by a video engineer handling the video output to a 10 projector system. The server has a single NVIDIA Quadro M6000 24GB connected to three FX4’s splitting to 10 projectors.

Yesterday, the server went through some major windows update which took an hour. Afterwards all seemed normal. The displays didn’t seem to be switched up, I had control of all the projectors through geometry manager with the correct IP addresses assigned to them. I launched the Touch Designer file which was setup for easy playback.

TouchDesigner was outputting the two walls in opposite sides of where it should be with 2 “slices” missing. With no system architect documents left behind and how everything was made put together to make all parts “happy” I had to do trial and error.

Eventually went with switching the two display port outputs going to FX4 to get the output order correctly. Everything seemed to work correctly with all 10 projectors on. Until all the sudden the output went into the image with file comment “The Glitch”.

The timing of this “glitch” happening varies. It happened two times within 30minutes last night, then once after an hour and that was it. This morning it was happening every hour and then every five minutes.

It could be a graphics card driver issue or some sort of obvious display setting I’m overlooking. May be it’s some sort of display output setting in Touch Designer. (Again I do not know Touch Designer well)

Anyone here have had the similar issue before?
Need to figure this out ASAP.

Thanks!

I haven’t seen this before, but generally we try to prevent machines from doing automatic updates whenever possible for this very reason.

In terms of trouble shooting you might first check for updates to the graphics drivers. Next you might get some confidence monitors at the same resolution as the projectors and set them up next to the machine so you can determine if the issue is related to the video card, the signal path, or the projectors themselves.

If you have a service contract with the original video engineer you might reach out to them, or or see if they’re available for a one time service agreement.

Trouble shooting these things is usually a bit of a bear - there’s an answer to the problem, it just might take you longer than you like to track it down.

Yes, thought about the graphics card driver this morning when I remembered that some of our Alienware PC’s lost partial projection outputs after windows update. It just didn’t come to me right away since all outputs was working just glitching.

We’ve been preventing it from updating until the computer got connected for remote access. Sigh.

I wanted to roll back to the previous state before the update, but didn’t have time to do so before visitors last night. It wasn’t as bad it was this noon!

Did get hold of the original video engineer.
Drivers update might do the trick. Cross fingers.

update: I did update the driver, but still having the same “glitch” issue. sigh.

Just to do your due diligence, you might first test monitors to ensure what you’re seeing is coming from the server and isn’t a result of bad cables or a problem with a projector.

Sometimes these issues preset all of a sudden, so it’s worth checking there first before you tear your hair out with updates and os settings. I’ve had installations before where I’ve lost days to what turned out to be bad fiber runs or bad converters. I always like to trouble shoot at the appliance level first before digging in on drivers and what not.