How to prevent stretching of color maps on 3D geometry

Hey!

I am new to Touch designer and I am trying to use images that I have generated elsewhere as materials. However, the problem that I am running into is that when I apply the Material to 3D geometry, the material is being stretched to fit the geometry.

I have attached a 3 node example of what I am talking about. Why does the banana stretch?
Is there any way to have the Color map material tile and maintain its aspect ratio rather than stretch?

Sam
stretch_colormap.toe (4.03 KB)

Hi Sam,

Texture coordinates are the consideration you need to make here. Each face of your box has a set of coordinates that are used to direct how your texture is fit to the box. If you look inside your geo at the box SOP and the Texture Coordinates par you’ll see that it’s currently set to use box inside as the texture coordinates. Try changing this to face outside to see how that changes how your texture is applied.

After this you’ll notice that your banana is stretched in two different ways - this is due to the fact that your box has two different aspect ratios for faces - the top and bottom aspect is different than than sides.

One way to solve this would be to use a texture SOP after your box SOP. Turn off the render and display flags for your box sop, and turn them on instead for the texture SOP. Try setting your texture type to orthographic and your projection axis to Y. You could use the scale pars on the texture SOP to change how the texture fits the front and back faces of your box.

Another option would be to change your texture - depending on how you have your texture coordinates set up on your box it would mean thinking of your input texture as being an unwrapped version of the faces of the box.

Is that enough to get you started?

Ah, yes. This was exactly what I was after.

Thanks so much Matt :slight_smile:

Sam

Gosh i had the exact same problem and it got me headaches for days.
Thank you so much Matt!