DMX in/out CHOP not sending on NIC b99

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to TD as of about last week. I’m playing around with the DMX in/out CHOP’s and a friend has been helping me but we can’t seem to figure out how to get the CHOP’s to go in/out of the NIC on the machine. We can see bytes being written and read via sACN but I’m not seeing them on my sACN reader app. I attached a screenshot of the project and the project itself. My friend helped me with some of this so pardon my ignorance as I’m still learning. Any help to getting the packets sent down the NIC to other sACN devices would be extremely helpful for my project.

Thank you for your time!

geese780
dmx tester app.toe (7.1 KB)

One quick problem that I see is that sACN is a 1-based system whereas Art-Net is 0-based. Try changing the Net to 1.

Hey My Friend,

Correct, tried the net at 1, something that I cannot figure out is why the addressing schema stays as if it was trying to address the artnet side. Still got nothing unfortunately.

Thoughts?

geese780

Have you had a look at the alert messages that TD is giving you on those 2 nodes? They might provide some insight.

Howdy Howdy,

I did and here is what the alert said, but I cannot seem to pull it up because it’s flashing on and off at a rapid pace. Alert picture attached. Thoughts?

geese780

Sorry - was being lazy and finally had a look at your posted TOE file.
Here is a file that is working - made some slight adjustments to your project.
dmx_tester_app2.toe (7.21 KB)

Hey My Friend,

Thank you for looking at it. So I understand what the math function is doing. It’s basically clamping the the data to go between 0 and 255 right? Thank you for this.

So for each DMX channel going out, do I have to add a math per project?

Next thing that was wracking my brain yesterday was that the packets were not getting sent out the NIC card to the network. I have verified all signal between the machines, and also verified signal from the source (grandMA2 lighting console) to the sACN view app which is on the same machine as TD.

Thoughts?

geese780

The Math CHOP will do its wonder on all channels passing through it so no need to add 512 of them. You can either create several channels within the single Constant CHOP or merge them all together, based on the needs of your project.
In terms of the networking side of things, as I recall, TD chooses the first NIC it sees. You can either change the priority of your NIC’s or (as an initial test) disable all NIC’s except for the one that you wish to send/receive on.

Understood. Tried that. Still got nothing…

Is there a way to force the IP? Also on the DMX out CHOP, is there a way to see what channel is getting data adjusted? On the adjusted project, I can see the information going from 0-255, but is there a way to see what channel the LFO is affecting?

Thoughts?

geese780

Re: seeing the received data - it’s there, try zooming way in on it or add a Select CHOP to filter down to the desired channels.
Re: forcing the IP address - not that I know of but perhaps someone else can chime in on that one. I may be bringing my bad habits from 077 forward.

No worries!

Understood on the select chop. Thank you. I really appreciate your help with this. Of course I’m going to continue to do wrong things to learn so this shall be fun! haha. If I find anything I will be certain to post here for future recollection. Thank you again for your time!

Cheers!

geese780

if you only have one TouchDesigner channel going to the DMX Out CHOP, it’s sending DMX channel 1. As you add more TouchDesigner channels (usually with a merge CHOP) it will send more DMX channels counting upwards. If you want to send only a higher number DMX channel, you have to add a bunch of “dummy” channels before that, usually with a constant CHOP, where you can put in the channel name field of the first constant channel: “chan[1-###]” where ### is how many dummy channels you want to get it up there.

As for sending to a specific IP address, if you uncheck “Multicast” at the bottom of the DMX Out CHOP, it will give you an IP address field, and you can change the 255.255.255.255 (broadcast) to whatever IP address you want.

Also, RGMdddd, what version of TD did you make this file in? For some reason, when I try running this specific file, “dmx_tester_app2.toe”, in TD099.2017.12100 on Win7x64pro, the DMX In CHOP gives me a “values clamped to -1” error… until I drop another DMX In Chop onto the network, at which point the original one instantly fixes itself and works just fine. Super weird and you may have found a bug, or it could just be weirdness from being saved in a previous version of TD…

Hey Peeet, give the new experimental a try as we fixed a number of DMX bugs, might have squashed yours here.