BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

Depreciated Override CHOP in panel

Still a little green? Ask your beginner's questions here

Depreciated Override CHOP in panel

Postby starantino » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:44 pm

I am following a tutorial on Lynda and wiring up some OSC controls, however, I am running into an issue with the depreciated 'Override CHOP' field in 099. How can I achieve what is pictured below without using the depreciated field?
starantino

Re: Depreciated Override CHOP in panel

Postby starantino » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:46 am

Right click to view image in new window....of course...

I could really use a hand here because this is pretty much the last section before I am done on external control with OSC..
starantino

Postby prodmod » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:10 pm

I was going through these Lynda tutorials as well and got stuck here, but I found a solution that seems to work even if it's maybe not the most efficient.

I used a chop called "override" at the end of each pair of control nulls and buttons and then plugged both the button and the override chop into "merge1" and tested and everything worked.
Attachments
override_CHOP.png
override_CHOP.png (291.19 KiB) Viewed 6204 times
prodmod

Postby starantino » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:20 pm

I was also looking at the override CHOP as an option as well just didnt make it that far, very nice! Thanks for this!

What I ended up doing to try to solve the problem was open the exercise file one lesson ahead and it had all of the connections without having to do what you mentioned above and was all hooked up the same. I looked for any TD or Python code in the parameters and found nothing at all, so how the heck are they hooked up!!! A complete mystery to me that can be solver by a .tox export of the controls or now by your solution above. I would love to know the proper way though if anyone knows!

Thanks a lot!
starantino

Postby raganmd » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Panel vals can be directly overwritten with a simple python call which allows for a very explicit execution. Here's a simple example.

Notice how the constant can now be used to override the slider's position - the chop execute uses the constant's chan1 val to update the u parameter of the slider.
Attachments
base_panel_override.tox
(1014 Bytes) Downloaded 272 times
raganmd

Postby prodmod » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:57 pm

My buttons in my on screen UI weren't being selected with the layout I had before, so I adjusted the placement of the "override" CHOP to be inside of each button, and created an "in" CHOP for the button to bring in the values from each "select" CHOP. It works a lot better - still need to determine a way to have an on screen UI button press for another camera view set the value for the OSC "select" back to 0, otherwise you have to tap another button in OSC and then the one you wanted, toggling it on and off first.

I'll try the python example posted as well, which might be a lot easier than everything I've just done.
Attachments
osc_UI_layout.png
osc_UI_layout.png (200 KiB) Viewed 6200 times
override_in_button.png
override_in_button.png (216.57 KiB) Viewed 6200 times
prodmod

Postby BlackCatWhiteSocks » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:25 am

thanks for figuring this out guys.

still need to determine a way to have an on screen UI button press for another camera view set the value for the OSC "select" back to 0, otherwise you have to tap another button in OSC and then the one you wanted, toggling it on and off first.

I think you would need to use OSC feedback and send the data back to TouchOSC. It also could be a problem that we are using momentary buttons in TouchOSC and radio buttons in TD.
BlackCatWhiteSocks

Postby jdetlof » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:19 am

It seems like Derivative has left the parameter (par.chop) in there though, but with no explicit access to it, other than scripting access. So one way around this could be to make your own custom parameter (par.Chop) and have a parameter execute DAT inside the button comp to set par.chop to par.Chop (see attachment)

Although this may not be future-proof, since Derivative may choose to take the parameter away altogether.

Just out of curiosity, Derivative: Why did you change this? It was a pretty handy thing.

/Jonas
Attachments
button_with_override.tox
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
----
/Jonas Heijkenskjöld
jdetlof

Postby rob » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 am

We found the implementation in the Panel dialog, clunky and unintuitive, and opted to promote the use of the Override CHOP instead.
It means working in CHOP channels instead of panel values, but ultimately panel values are accessed as expressions or CHOP channels, so hopefully the changes to workflow is straightforward.
Open for more feedback of course.
Cheers,
Rob.
rob
Staff

Postby kdelvo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:39 am

I am following the Scott Paganos Lynda Tutorial and have run into the same issue with the Override CHOP. Have tried the previous suggestions but having no luck.

is there somewhere that explains the most efficient method for doing this?

Thanks,
Ken
kdelvo

Next

Return to Beginners