texture filtering on a cyc

Hola~

I have a cyc that is near the far plane of my camera. It’s a sphere with a 1k x 1k texture. The texture has really fine detail in it. I’m finding Touch filters the texture to the point where all the details in the texture are gone.

Anyone have any hints about how to either limit the filtering or get touch to add more resolution to the texture? I’ve tried increasing the resolution of the sphere, but that doesn’t seem to help.

MO

Hey, I’m not familiar with the term ‘cyc’. What does it mean?
Try generating mipmaps for the 1kx1k texture’s TOP. Its on the Common page of the TOP’s parameters (In future builds this parameter has been removed, and mipmaps are created automatically for you).
Then on the MAT, click on the + symbol next to the parameter where you assigned the TOP to the MAT. Here are the texturing options. You can try the different filtering settings to see the different results. Also try using the anisotropic filtering and see if that helps at all. These are all of the filtering features that the GPU currently supports natively. Any more advanced filtering requires custom pixel shader code, which I haven’t done yet.

Let me know if that helps at all.

Hola~

A ‘cyc’ is short for ‘cyclorama’. It used to be a large cylindrical painting that was used to define the bg of a set beyond where a set was dressed. In cg-land, it’s often a texture mapped sphere.

I already tried the mipmap settings. I just retried the filtering and ansiotropy settings without any change in the look.

MO

Ah ok thanks. I just haven’t heard that abbreviation before. Is it possible for you to email me this case so I can take a look and see what you are seeing?

Hola~

I can’t send it to you. I’ll try to put together a sample file in the next couple of days.

MO

Found this thread searching for a solution to a horrific load time problem.

I have some really big files loading (3840x3240), and there’s multiple second pauses as they load. When I analyze, I see that generate MipMaps is the problem.

I’m using the textures fairly close to natively. Can I disable the mipmaps?

It’s also possible that ‘all’ of my files are loading even though some shouldn’t even cook. Is it possible that they load and mipmap even though they shouldn’t cook?

Bruce

Mipmaps are created if a TOP is used in a MAT for rendering. You can turn off mipmapping by changing the filtering settings in the >> expand menu for the MAT’s * Map parameter.