Sync Chops and NVIDIA GSYNC

I’m currently setting up a system that uses 3 machines with 2 M6000 cards and 1 GSYNC card each. All 3 systems are synced to each other via nvidia GSYNC via cat5 and each runs an instance of touch designer per GPU ( 2 instances per machine ). I’m using a 4th machine to control the 3 nodes that uses a GTX980 card and is not GSYNC’ed.

This control server hosts the Sync Out Chop and the 3 nodes connected use sync in chops to keep everything playing at the same speed.

My question is this: is it alright to host sync out (TD) from a machine that is not part of the NVIDIA sync system or will this cause problems? For that matter is it alright to have any machine connected to the TD sync system that is not part of the NVIDIA sync? i.e. Could I set one of my nodes (that use nvidia sync) to host the Sync Out Chop and have another computer that is not NVIDIA synced connected to that without causing any issues?

Thanks!

Is there any reason your GTX machine would need to be g’synced to the Quadros? If not you should be good to go.

Hey Jonathan,

No, there isn’t any reason for the machine with the GTX to be synced to the system.

I suppose my concern is that the machines that are g’synced will end up having to pause their playback for a moment to let the GTX machine catch up if it happens to slip behind. Or vice versa where the GTX machine plays faster than its g’synced counterparts.

The later of the two scenarios seems like it wouldn’t be an issue but I am a bit concerned about the the g’synced machines waiting for the GTX machine.

Either way I’ll be testing this over the next few days. I just through I would post the question to see if anyone has any insight before I spend time testing.

I don’t think the server would need to be g-synced. You may want to turn off vsync on it though so it can freely run with it’s frame phase getting affected by the Sync Out CHOPs only.

Thanks! I’ll let you know how it goes.