evil space flame

Yup, here:
derivative.ca/wiki088/index.php? … L_Material
and
derivative.ca/wiki088/index.php? … a_GLSL_TOP

great - ty!

Thanks for sharing steve

Thanks for that, working now on my system as well (in the latest experimental).

Wondering how those FirePro’s are behaving with TouchDesigner in general, we don’t have any to test with and a number of people have been asking. Any comments on them?

so far it’s been great!

there is one bug though, i have to reboot and load windows in order to run touch :wink:

:laughing:

actually though, now that i think of it —

there are times when touch hangs during loading a toe file, the window just goes white and freezes. sometimes i have to kill the process with task manager. it doesn’t generate a crash dump. it happens maybe 15-25% of the time.

If it happens again, sometimes we can get something from a forced dump file. To create one, when its hanging on you right-click on the process in the Task Manager and select “Create Dump File”. The files created this was are very large, maybe you’ll have to dropbox it to us or something. If it happens that often, we’d like to look at it.

P.s. here is an evolution of the same patch:

[vimeo]https://www.vimeo.com/95365778[/vimeo]

I would upload it but the toe file is 60 MB.

Here is a trick for creating geometry for particle engines like this.

1. Using houdini, load your model…

2. run it through houdini’s scatter sop to generate as many points as you need.

3. if you have a texture map, use an “attribute from map” operator to get color data baked into the points.

4. export geometry from houdini (I use .hbclasic)

5. load geometry into touch designer

6. use sop->chop to convert points into channels (just P at first)

Now here is the tricky part. I am working with 1024*1024 particles, so that means the chop will have a million samples. To turn this into usable data, you can use a trim chop to extract 1024 values at a time. Mix this with a chop->top, a feedback top, and an over top, you can build a nice 1024x1024 32-bit texture with all of your particle positions! You can repeat the process with the vertex color data and get a color map also.

Sice you can’t save 32-bit textures, you can only lock a null top and then use switches or selects to access it at runtime.

Just a tip for those who didn’t notice, either turn on the display flag for /evil_space_flame/final or put this file into Perform Mode (press F1) to see the final output. When you start it up the network backdrop is displaying the Render TOP before all the extra effects. :sunglasses:

hey steve, I’m having trouble following your suggestions for using custom geometries, so it would be really great if you could upload that 60 mb file to dropbox or somewhere else.

many thx
A

this is great steve. I’m with Achim wanting to see the .toe for messing with models. :slight_smile:

rod.

I tried to follow you steps and pretty much got it. I still have a problem with some rogues particles, but in general it looks ok. This is my network:

Texture is painted line by line and it takes some time to do it. After one texture you need to lock the first null, change the sop in '‘sop to chop’ operator and paint the second one. The result will be something like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=riczFuy … e=youtu.be
glslfun2.5.toe (7.55 MB)

Make sure your texture compositor/accumulator is set to “nearest” interpolation, not “linear” or whatever… you may have rogue points due to weird aliasing errors etc. in the shader too you may want to set your uv lookup offset by 1/2 a pixel so you’re reading from the middle of the texel and not the edge, which can also cause weirdness. Check the texture bounding mode also (use hold or mirror not zero)

But yes it looks like you figured it out! Nice work :wink:

Having so much fun with this, thank you Steve!

Works so nicely with some nice HD post effects, so many beautiful iterations to be made!

I’ve added some point attenuation, playing with audio reactivity and the houdini/scatter technique. Will post a tox sometime later.

Hello, next version will have a Prim.eval method to quickly generate points on a surface as described here:

derivative.ca/Forum/viewtop … 50a#p24463

Cheers,
Rob.

Good effect. Thanks for sharing. It will be cool if you can share an example with houdini geometry imports.

It is possible to achieve the same flame effect starting from a system of particle created with “particle” sop and not with GLSL?

The Particle SOP is not capable of calculating as many particles as all SOPs are calculated on the CPU. GLSL uses the GPU to power the particle system giving the option for much higher particle counts.

Wow! Thanks for sharing great stuff.

Im studying this project and that is “omg im such a noob in shader math”. Im completely can’t undertand your particle engine. vesabios can you suggest a way to understand what you are doing there or may be you know something that will help like tutorial, book, article, magic unicorn-pony that grants inspiration with its horn? :slight_smile:

What is m matrix used for?
Why do you use custom noise, how did you invent it?

By the way I was inspired by your bloom COMP and wrote nice, adjustable, “for everyday use” blur COMP based on your technice but with greatly simplified shader. With levelTOP + crossTOP almost same bloom effect can be achieved but easier to adjust. Here it is:
bloom_blur.tox (11.3 KB)