Linux version

One of the funnest things about a Linux port would be making a bootable stick that has your standard deployment setup on it.

I guess this is theoretically possible with Mac or Windows as well but, the fact that the operating system has no notions about licensing is kind of amazing.

+1

+1
Realtime = stable = Linux.
Please consider supporting Linux, thanks.

+1
better support Linux than macOS in my opinion…

1 Like

Now, with Windows 7 support running out, this would be even nicer to have.

Just a little heads up - new version of Kinect (Azure Kinect) will be released with SDK support for both Windows and Linux.

[url]All you need to know on Azure Kinect - The Ghost Howls

+1

This is vaguely relevant:

youtube.com/watch?v=cpE2B2QSsa0

@flowb the vid made me curious, but it seems it’s a case by case optimization if I trust forbes.com/sites/jasonevang … 16585978ce from a quick google search, and not surprised blender would be optimized for linux

@vinz99
totally. blender is very FOSS oriented, so they do basically all their development on Linux and then cross compile to Windows and MacOs.
I think that there tends in general to be a platform optimization bias in most organizations.

The reason why I thought this ‘vaguely relevant’ is in the context of the general notion of Windows as an automatically more performant platform.

let’s compare TD on Windows vs TD on Linux then :slight_smile:

a +1 for linux version too :slight_smile:

+1 LINUX VERSION - Yes Please.

Can we +1 for a LINUX VERSION each year? Do they add up?

Maybe now is the time?

We would love to run TD across the 15 GPU’s in the UTS DATA ARENA

b.

3 Likes

+1 for a solid linux version.
especially because using linux would naturally lead to working more inside programming-environments and teach new TD users to combine different languages.

also less bloatware = more power

1 Like

As a Windows user coming from MacOs background, I doesn’t agree completely with you. Two systems is hard to maintain, three is worst. But also there is the problem of what you can use beside, no Ableton, no Unity, no Max/msp (I doesn’t count PD as future proof). I see it with daVinci, people use the linux version only for farm or very specific machine.
Sorry to be rude, but I prefer the money I give each year to Derivative going to develop for a growing community of artist working with what is available for them, at house, at schools, at university.
So I vote -1

1 Like

but this is the very problem: if no developer is starting to grow into this direction, none will follow.
look at bitwig: i love their approach, i would always prefer it in comparsion to ableton, newer crashed since 3 years of constant use, runnig smoothly on ubuntu.

and the argument of accesibility is also not really long-term: more and more institutions are switching to linux, nearly every stable server on this planet is running also on linux…in my opinion development towards linux is an asset for a future of way more individualist and tech-savvy newcomers

I can return the argument, why starting in this direction? Server and work station are another story.
I am personally not very individualistic, working in dance in theater and generally art, is more a collective task and to ask for all people working together to turn to Linux is an utopia.
Perhaps Bigwig is better but I work with Ableton because of Max4Live and TDAbleton and it is a standard, perhaps PD is more stable but I need Max/msp, for max4Live but also GRM and Ircam tools, sometimes I need Photoshop, Gimp is to very usable and I can multiply example.
I continue to my -1 :slight_smile:

never said that art by itself is always an individualistic task, and i also think that it is definitely a very essential part of artistic work to be utopian to a certain degree :slight_smile:

what i don’t get is your repulsion towards linux, while it is, by its very nature, a collectivist philosophy of sharing and making everything accessible / open, so it should definitely appeal to your idea of art as a collective experience.

however even while i totally understand that whenever one has his/her own habits and environments, which are mostly windows or osx, i totally disagree that these environments are chosen, but more like forced upon us in many ways.

i would like to see a TD-derivative in linux because there has been quite a lot development towards UNIX-based systems through the osx-version, so there has obviously been some development in that direction.

and i understand that for some of us, like you, e.g. max/msp is more accessible and capable of interconnectivity with ableton on a windows/osx-machine. for me this is also the reason why i prefer TD and not processing / cinder etc.: it is, by far, way more fun to use and accessible. but, again, i for instance have a deep repulsion when it comes to working with windows or osx: many millions of background-processes that interfere in weird ways, and also lower the overall cpu/ram-load significantly. and that is the main reason, why i think that a linux-TD-version would be ace: for top-notch-maximization of performance power.

and whoever thinks that an open-source solution will not work in the longterm-perspective should have a look at blender :wink:

(btw: it’s very tough for me to have a discussion with you, as i highly appreciate all your tutorials and help:i have learned so much from them, a big thx for that :slight_smile: )

Hello,
Thank you for your appreciation, I like to teach and I like to receive feedback. Unfortunately for you my last tutorials are in French, I try to translate it but its more work than redoing it in English…
Returning to Linux, the discussion is interesting. I really appreciate the idea behind Linux and I give sometime a new chance to Ubuntu but I doesn’t find the way to be productive/creative with it.
You are right that MacOs is not far away from Linux but is not Linux. The Derivative team is not so big as to afford a Linux team.
After 30 years using MacOs (beginning from system 7…), Linux (a bit with mainly Processing and PD), I am quite surprised by the stability of W10. When I decided to be involved in TD, because the MacOs version, I quickly understood I needed Windows to open all possibilities and to use a good graphic card. After a clean install and many attention to updates, I am quite confident to the system and I am not sure I would gain so much with a Linux install.
I am not in permanent installations but, for the occasion, I would employ somebody using OFW or Cinder on Linux.
But the question stay open.
Enjoy your day, Jacques

1 Like

i went the same route and totally feel you: coming from OSX with all that straight-forwardness to W10 was quite tough, and i really did it only for TD, and it works, but there were some issues during an installation lately that were somehow annoying, regarding background-processes.

however i understand that the dev-team has to keep focus, which is obviously more working on OSX/W10 machines. so my biggest hope is that their team will have so much more success in the near future to be able to afford a dev-team for linux in future :slight_smile:

you also have a nice day, and i am really curious about your next tutorials in english!!