Linux version

please, please, please - linux version!!!

++1

+1

of course +10 :wink:

One of the funnest things about a Linux port would be making a bootable stick that has your standard deployment setup on it.

I guess this is theoretically possible with Mac or Windows as well but, the fact that the operating system has no notions about licensing is kind of amazing.

+1

+1
Realtime = stable = Linux.
Please consider supporting Linux, thanks.

+1
better support Linux than macOS in my opinion…

1 Like

Now, with Windows 7 support running out, this would be even nicer to have.

Just a little heads up - new version of Kinect (Azure Kinect) will be released with SDK support for both Windows and Linux.

[url]All you need to know on Azure Kinect - The Ghost Howls

+1

This is vaguely relevant:

youtube.com/watch?v=cpE2B2QSsa0

@flowb the vid made me curious, but it seems it’s a case by case optimization if I trust forbes.com/sites/jasonevang … 16585978ce from a quick google search, and not surprised blender would be optimized for linux

@vinz99
totally. blender is very FOSS oriented, so they do basically all their development on Linux and then cross compile to Windows and MacOs.
I think that there tends in general to be a platform optimization bias in most organizations.

The reason why I thought this ‘vaguely relevant’ is in the context of the general notion of Windows as an automatically more performant platform.

let’s compare TD on Windows vs TD on Linux then :slight_smile:

a +1 for linux version too :slight_smile:

+1 LINUX VERSION - Yes Please.

Can we +1 for a LINUX VERSION each year? Do they add up?

Maybe now is the time?

We would love to run TD across the 15 GPU’s in the UTS DATA ARENA

b.

3 Likes

+1 for a solid linux version.
especially because using linux would naturally lead to working more inside programming-environments and teach new TD users to combine different languages.

also less bloatware = more power

1 Like

As a Windows user coming from MacOs background, I doesn’t agree completely with you. Two systems is hard to maintain, three is worst. But also there is the problem of what you can use beside, no Ableton, no Unity, no Max/msp (I doesn’t count PD as future proof). I see it with daVinci, people use the linux version only for farm or very specific machine.
Sorry to be rude, but I prefer the money I give each year to Derivative going to develop for a growing community of artist working with what is available for them, at house, at schools, at university.
So I vote -1

1 Like

but this is the very problem: if no developer is starting to grow into this direction, none will follow.
look at bitwig: i love their approach, i would always prefer it in comparsion to ableton, newer crashed since 3 years of constant use, runnig smoothly on ubuntu.

and the argument of accesibility is also not really long-term: more and more institutions are switching to linux, nearly every stable server on this planet is running also on linux…in my opinion development towards linux is an asset for a future of way more individualist and tech-savvy newcomers