Deactivating license from the website.

Hello,

Is any other way to deactivating license except from the program. It is illogical that you can’t delate it from your web account. You know SSD/HDD failed, computers could be stolen and many other option that will make it impossible to open the program and deactivating the license…

This should be done! I send mail to the support but still waiting answer, this is so impracticable, If your computer failed and you have event you have to switch on fast. So now you have to hope and wait some one to answer you back, and cross finger that there will be a solution…

The other option is using a License dongle

+1 it’s really risky to have to rely on email. Recently had a machine go belly up and couldn’t deactivate

The reason we don’t let users disable from the website is very simply that TouchDesigner does not call home or there is no way for us to disable a key remotely. There is no direct connection to the licenses on our server and the key on a local machine once that key is installed.

So disabling on the website could allow someone to key as many computers as they want, by simply resetting the license after each key is created.

There are options for the future of online keying. One could login each time TD starts, but that would require a connection all the time which is rare in the field so doesn’t work that well for TouchDesigner in many cases. Or perhaps an emergency license is provided for hardware failures, which works for a certain number of days. Of course dongles are one very reliable option, as mentioned.

We like to hear what users think would work best for accessing online licenses and especially in cases where there is a failure. Of course we are interested in a system that is not ripe for abuse. We feel we are generous in resetting licenses and our Non-Commercial licenses are honor-based, and while we don’t want to make things more restrictive we also have to keep our licensing secure.

Thanks Ben, totally understand. There is a play-off between security/functionality for the customers and license security for you guys. Some products have a limited number of resets per year, but of course any wiggle room for this purpose can equally be seen as more potential for abuse.
It’s just such a catastrophic problem for someone on the other side of the world who has hardware issues just prior to a show.
Perhaps remote deactivation could be considered part of the price premium for pro users? Or maybe you just include a dongle in the price, I have had the pleasure being on the receiving end of superiors who are gobsmacked that a pro license doesn’t include a dongle.
An emergency license is an interesting idea. I guess you mean a second serial that is provided at time of purchase that will expire after 7 days or something?

This is exactly what’s happening with me. A computer died with a license associated, and now I have no way of retrieving it. Is there a process in place to deal with this?

Email support@derivative.ca they’re usually pretty fast about responding.

Thanks raganmd. They were on the ball, everything’s all better now.

While I guess there is some room for improvement everywhere, I think the situation now is pretty good. Of course there are catastrophic cases, you’ll also have that if you lose a dongle for example. No system is perfect.
Max/MSP recently introduced a new licensing system that involves ‘calling home’ in regular intervals (I think once a month or so). This is one reason I don’t use their newest version (although I’m a heavy max user). Calling home is not an option for software that should run in live-performance, installation, or generally mission-critical work in my opinion.

Even if you come up with a system that maybe connects home once a month and if it fails, you get an email telling you that your installation will run for another 3 days if you don’t provide internet connection etc. It seems to add another layer of concern and worrying to in-the-field work.

I hope derivative will never introduce this!

6.1.10 for life. haha