Lots of crashes while blending FBX Takes

I started with 077 ( Build 2515 ) few days ago, trying to import FBX Character, and blend Takes ( with Cross CHOP or Blend CHOP ). While playing around with the values Touch crashes pretty early and quite often with this error message:

Runtime Error!
Program: C:.…

R6025
-pure virtual function call

Moreover, I cannot save the Env. Sometimes Touch crashes, sometimes not, but in any case I’m getting a 7 kb .toe ( attached ), without data.

If Touch does not crash, the Switch, Cross and Blend CHOP all behave odd with this FBX ( attached ) file. The takes do not get switched/cross faded properly, but added together ( looks like added, hope that I’m not missing a setting ).
The difference of the takes is only the neck and head animation. Body, feet and tail are similar in both takes. Neither switch nor cross CHOP should change the motion of those parts I feel ( works this way in Motionbuilder ).

You’ll find the FBX attached, to reconstruct my issue, try to switch the takes. Replace the switch with a cross/blend CHOP and fiddle around with cross value to make Touch crash ( well, at my machine at least ). Machine details required ?

Cheers, searching for the Pivot of my Soul, PP !!!
Dragon_2Takes.fbx (1.28 MB)
Dragon-FBX.toe (6.46 KB)

Hi Peter.
Unfortunately I was not able to exerpience any crashes with your tox file.
I do see, however, that input 0 drives the character properly, while input 1
distorts the joint positions unnaturally (unintentionally I assume).

I tried reordering the second input to match the first with the same results. (reorder CHOP).
I also took the first input, and manually replaced the channel data with input from the second
(replace CHOP).

I can only assume at this point the 2nd input data is not in the same format as the first.
Were they extracted exactly the same way?

Have you sent us any dmp files created during the crashes?

Cheers
Rob

no crashes here, but you can fix the second take by appending a facet SOP to /plyDragon/mesh, turn on “Orient Polygons” and the last “Compute Normals” button. Maybe this info, together with peter’s dmp files, helps finding the cause of the crash

The .toe file crashed when I opened it, .dmp file attached.

Keep in mind with .fbx files that there is an “import” folder created when you import the .fbx data, that needs to be within your project directory. I haven’t ever had Touch crash without it (just doesn’t show any animation data) but maybe something about your machine or setup.

The cross CHOP works fine for me, I get a nice blend between the 2 takes with no errors that I can see . . . or at least, the beginning and end animations look the same blended as switched.
dragon_FBX.zip (339 KB)
TouchCrashFTE077.5294.1.dmp (115 KB)

I apologize, the build I was using was quite old. After updating to build 3715 nothing crashed till now. Most probably already fixed issues.

But the animation still behaves oddly.

To Rob

Yes they were, got them from Maya, Take1 is the original, Take2 is just the Neck animation tweaked a little. No Keyframe Channels were removed or inserted, its the same Character with same Joint List and Order.

I merged the two files in Motionbuilder, so I can export a FBX file with 2 Takes ( which is not possible from Maya ). In Motionbuilder the Takes work as expected ( Attached Screenshots ). If anybody wants to compare the file in MB and Touch and does not have MB available, you can get a one month trial from Autodesk.

teflonjf:
FBX imported into TOUCH screws up the resulting animation, legs, tail, wings, are not moving as in MB, when using any of blend, cross or switch CHOP.

I tried also to create a Project, but this removed my geometry from the scene, the mesh node doesn’t cook. When I try to reload the FBX file, there is no option to do so. I can load only .tog, .geo,. bgeo. Am sure that this is easily fixable, but seems like I’m to fresh for that :slight_smile:
so I cannot provide a .tox or .env file till now, sorry.

In any case, comparing the screenshots, the issue should be visible.

Dragon_Printscreen.zip (523 KB)

Ahh, OK, well I was just going off how things looked in Touch and that the blending at least seems to work on the files as they are imported.

I’ve imported several different skeletons into Touch from Maya and had all the motions come out fine. But I don’t know the details of the rigging or bind poses, etc, as I was delivered them by several different VFX companies.

Hey, here’s some more info I found so far. If I change the order that I import the takes then Take 2 works fine and Take 1 breaks (this isn’t something you can do though). So I’m thinking we are running into a bug with the FBX SDK. I’ll make a post on the Autodesk forums and see what kind of info I can get.

In the meantime I think a workaround would be to export your takes into 2 separate FBX files and import them like that.

Also, is it ok if I give this .fbx file to autodesk as a test case?

Yeah, that should be all right.

You’re suggestion also helped, if I import two different files I can copy one take and blend it with that one from the other fbx impert successfully. Somehow this didn’t work in my previous build, even though the FBX files were the same. Anyways, now I’m happy.

Hey, after some talking with autodesk I have a solution to this that will be in the next build. 5603 or later.